Situated 3km from the city’s heart, Mysore Zoo is one of India’s oldest and largest zoos. Just 2 km from the Mysore Maharaja Place, Mysore Zoo is equipped with rich flora, fauna, and an eye-opening scenic beauty. The number of visitors it attracts annually is worth noting; according to a survey, more than 2 million tourists from all over the world visit Mysore zoo in a year. If you are also planning to visit Mysore, don’t forget to visit Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens. So, here is some of the essential information about Mysore Zoo Timings, Updated Entry Fee & Ticket, and the Best Time to Visit the Zoo. So let’s check out more about Mysore Zoo Timings.
This zoo is one of the most prominent zoos in Karnataka, and over 160 species can be seen here. This zoo was established in 1892, and then the zoo was named after Sri Chamarajendra Wodeyar Bahadur, the founder and member of this zoo. If you go to the Mysore palace, this zoo is just 1 KM away. Let’s see the Mysore zoo timings and entry fee.
Mysore Zoo Timings & All the Related Information
Generally, any time of the day is suitable for visiting the zoo, Orienting animal houses and guest conveniences, and its lovely green cover. So let’s get to know more about on Mysore Zoo Timings guide.
If you want to go there only to watch big cats, you must schedule your time today or in the evening because big cats generally sleep in the afternoon. The primary Mysore zoo timings are as follows –
|Day||Mysore Zoo Timings|
|Monday||8:30 am – 5:30 pm|
|Tuesday||Closed / Holiday|
|Wednesday||8:30 am – 5:30 pm|
|Thursday||8:30 am – 5:30 pm|
|Friday||8:30 am – 5:30 pm|
|Saturday||8:30 am – 5:30 pm|
|Sunday||8:30 am – 5:30 pm|
With a wide variety of different plants and animals, you will also experience Mysore’s breathtaking natural beauty. This zoo is also known for breeding rare animals, which is now done in very few countries worldwide. Now that we know Mysore zoo timings let’s learn some interesting facts about it.
Rare Facts about Mysore Zoo:
- This area was transformed into a zoo in 1892 and was named Palace Zoo. Later, Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens was given its new name.
- Gustav Hermann Krumbeigel, a renowned German botanist and garden designer, was principally responsible for creating the Palace Zoo. In addition, however, he created Bengaluru’s famous Lalbagh Botanical Garden.
- Every year, thousands of tourists visit the Mysore Zoo. Mysore Zoo is, without a doubt, one of Karnataka’s top tourist attractions.
- It’s interesting to see how the location has developed over time. Even after 124 years, Mysore Zoo remains the city’s most popular attraction.
- The Mysore Zoo’s purchase of Karanji Lake provided it with a new source of support. Three organizations-the Zoo Authority of Karnataka, the Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation, and the Asian Development Bank-joined forces to conserve this location. It is currently one of the Mysore Zoo’s hot spots.
- The Mysore Zoo has served as a testing site for numerous experiments! Yes, during their travels abroad, Mysore rulers used to purchase exotic creatures like zebras, giraffes, and orangutans. According to rumours, Mysore Zoo received strange animals for breeding programs, including red kangaroos, African black rhinos, barbary sheep, and chimpanzees. It previously served as a sizable testing ground.
Famous Attractions of Chamarajendra Zoological Park:
This zoo has a wide variety of different types of animal species. Some scarce animals are also included in their collection. All species of Rhino, like White Rhino and Indian Rhino, etc. All kinds of Bears, Nilgiri, Langurs, and many more animals.
This zoo has some exotic species of plants as well as a large number of ornamental plants and trees. Many of them are also bought from outside India. This zoo has 85 estimated species of trees, and with that, it also has 35 different species of ornamental plants. So after knowing Mysore zoo timings, it’s essential to know the best time to visit this zoo.
Best Time to Visit Chamarajendra Zoological Park:
Generally, you can go anytime you want because the zoo is open all weekdays except Tuesdays. The zoo opens at 8:30 am and closes at 5:30 pm. Refer to the Mysore zoo timings for exact day-wise Mysore Zoo Timings. If you want to see a particular type of animal species, like big cats, we suggest you visit there in the morning or evening because big cats generally sleep in the daytime.
If you are going there in the summer, we suggest you visit there between 10:30 am to 3 pm. It is much better if you go there between August to October.
Entry Fee of Mysore Zoo:
Address: Zoo Main Road, Indira Nagar, Ittige Gudu, Mysuru, Karnataka 570010 Contact no: 0821 252 0302
|Child ( 5-12 Years of Age)||₹ 70/-|
Nearby Tourist Places:
KARANJI MANSION: The large 32-acre Karanji Mansion complex is located near Nazarbad, 4 kilometres from Mysore Railway Station, 1.5 kilometres from Mysore Zoo, and right adjacent to Karanji Lake.
KARANJI LAKE: The picturesque Karanji Lake, a bird sanctuary in the centre of Mysuru City that offers a fantastic habitat for more than 70 species of avifauna, is situated at the foot of the Chamundi hills and close to the Mysuru Zoo.
REGIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY MYSORE: The Regional Museum of Natural History Mysore (RMNH) opened its doors on May 20, 1995, giving the medieval city of Mysore a new landmark. It is a subordinate office of the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India, and the southern regional office of the National Museum of Natural History, New Delhi.
- New Mysore Refreshments
- Sai Chiraag Restaurant
- Swarna Residency Restaurant
So this is all about the Mysore Zoo Timings article guide. Located near the maharaja palace of Mysore, the Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens plays the role of an orphanage for abandoned animals. If you are coming to Mysore, this is one place you can’t miss. Refer to the Mysore zoo timings, Entry Fee & Ticket, and Best Time to Visit Zoo for a pleasant time in Mysore.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) –
1. How Many Kilometers is Mysore Zoo?
Although it is a 4-kilometre walk, there are numerous rest stops along the way so that it won’t be too strenuous. You can take your time and walk the entire distance in a couple of hours—a year plus ago.
2. How Many Acres is Mysore Zoo?
The zoo currently covers 250 acres and was originally built exclusively for the royal family. Still, admission to the general public began as early as 1920—from 10 am to 5 pm on Tuesdays and holidays.
3. Is Mysore Zoo Open in 2022?
The Mysore Zoo is open from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. The zoo opens at 8:30 am, so you can start your day listening to birds chirping. The Zoo is open six days a week and is closed on Tuesdays. Refer to the Mysore zoo timings for detailed Mysore Zoo Timings according to the days.