Jardiance (empagliflozin) is a medication used to treat type 2 diabetes. It works by helping the kidneys get rid of glucose from your bloodstream. While taking Jardiance, it’s essential to be mindful of your diet, as certain foods can interact with the medication and have adverse effects on your health. In this article, we’ll discuss the foods to avoid while taking Jardiance and provide you with a comprehensive guide to managing your diet while on this medication.
Foods to Avoid
1. High-Glucose Foods: Foods that are high in glucose can counteract the effects of Jardiance, as the medication works to lower blood sugar levels. Avoid foods such as candy, pastries, sugary drinks, and desserts.
2. High-Carb Foods: Jardiance works by decreasing the amount of sugar reabsorbed by the kidneys. Consuming high-carb foods like bread, pasta, and rice can increase your blood sugar levels and reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
3. High-Sodium Foods: Jardiance can cause an increase in urination, leading to a loss of sodium from the body. Consuming high-sodium foods like processed meats, canned soups, and fast food can worsen this effect and lead to dehydration.
4. Alcohol: While moderate alcohol consumption may be acceptable for some people, it’s essential to be cautious while taking Jardiance. Alcohol can lower blood sugar levels and increase the risk of hypoglycemia when combined with this medication.
5. Fatty Foods: Consuming high-fat foods can lead to weight gain and increase the risk of heart disease, which is a concern for individuals with type 2 diabetes. In addition, high-fat meals can slow down the absorption of Jardiance, reducing its effectiveness.
Comprehensive Guide to Managing Your Diet
1. Eat a Balanced Diet: Focus on consuming a balanced diet that includes lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats. This can help stabilize your blood sugar levels and support the effectiveness of Jardiance.
2. Monitor Your Carbohydrate Intake: Keep track of your carbohydrate intake and aim to choose complex carbs over simple sugars. Whole grains, legumes, and vegetables are excellent choices that can help manage your blood sugar while taking Jardiance.
3. Read Food Labels: Pay close attention to food labels and avoid products with added sugars, high sodium content, and unhealthy fats. Choosing whole, unprocessed foods can help you make healthier choices and support your diabetes management.
4. Stay Hydrated: Since Jardiance can increase urination, it’s essential to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Avoid sugary drinks and opt for water or other sugar-free beverages to prevent dehydration.
5. Work with a Registered Dietitian: A registered dietitian can help you create a personalized meal plan that aligns with your dietary needs and supports your diabetes management while taking Jardiance.
Managing your diet while taking Jardiance is essential for the medication to work effectively and support your overall health. Avoiding high-glucose foods, high-carb foods, high-sodium foods, and alcohol, while also paying attention to your carbohydrate intake, reading food labels, staying hydrated, and working with a registered dietitian, can help you make informed choices that support your diabetes management goals.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: Can I drink alcohol while taking Jardiance?
A: It’s essential to be cautious while drinking alcohol while taking Jardiance, as it can lower blood sugar levels and increase the risk of hypoglycemia.
Q: What are the best foods to eat while taking Jardiance?
A: Focus on consuming a balanced diet that includes lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats. Avoid high-glucose, high-carb, and high-sodium foods.
Q: How can I stay hydrated while taking Jardiance?
A: Drink plenty of water and choose sugar-free beverages to prevent dehydration while taking Jardiance. Avoid sugary drinks and limit your alcohol consumption.
Q: Should I work with a registered dietitian while taking Jardiance?
A: Working with a registered dietitian can help you create a personalized meal plan that supports your diabetes management goals while taking Jardiance.