This is believed to be a golden age but is it that gleaming? Among many, one of the greatest gifts of the mighty Internet is access to information. So let’s check out everything about the Caplyta Side Effects article. Today, we can browse the Internet with the name of that little pill which is in the layer of hesitancy for us. One such necessary medicine you should be aware of is CAPLYTA. Often recalled in times of mental illnesses, it’s time to know the details of this capsule. So, let’s dive deeper into What Caplyta is? When to use it? Caplyta Side Effects and Precautions.
What is Caplyta?
Approved by the FDA, Caplyta is a brand-name prescription medicine. Caplyta contains the active ingredient Lumateperone, an antipsychotic medication. Caplyta is a long-term medicine used to treat chronic diseases; for example, the doctor may prescribe this medicine in case of Schizophrenia and Depressive Episodes of Bipolar Disorder in adults. It comes as a capsule that you swallow.
Caplyta is taken as one dose a day. The exact functioning and execution of this drug are not known. However, the medication acts as an antagonist of dopamine and serotonin receptors. Currently, Caplyta comes in a brand name form. There is no generic category available for this medication.
When is Caplyta Used?
Caplyta is officially approved for use in medical conditions like Schizophrenia in adults. Schizophrenia is a lifelong chronic disorder affecting a person’s ability to think, feel and behave clearly. The symptoms are eerie, noted as hallucinations, disorganized speech, changes in emotional moods, etc.
Caplyta exactly reverses this effect. It works by affecting chemical messengers like dopamine and serotonin glutamate, which are directly involved in the cause of Schizophrenia. In clinical tests, Caplyta has been shown to improve symptoms that affect the concerned patient’s thoughts, behaviours, and moods, which directly influences functionality in daily life. Now let’s get to know more about this Caplyta Side Effects guide.
Other (Off-Label) Uses:
Sometimes, Caplyta may also be prescribed for some other mental illnesses when any medication is prescribed “off-label,” which means the drug has not been approved for that use.
Caplyta is under test for its use in conditions such as bipolar disorders. Depression, people with dementia, and other related behavioural disturbances and neurological situations.
What are Caplyta Side Effects?
Similar to many drugs, especially in cases of neurological disorders, Caplyta Side Effects may be mild or severe. These lists do not include all side effects. But there are some side effects of this drug as experienced by people who have been on this medication.
It’s important to note here that the side effects vary according to many factors, which are:
- Your age
- Your medical condition for which the drug is prescribed
- Other medical conditions you have
- Other medications you take
Your doctor can tell you the potential side effects more efficiently since they are highly personal; it is advisable to talk to your doctor about it. They could also guide you on reducing its side effects and other related information.
What are the Common/Mild Side Effects of Caplyta?
Mild Caplyta Side Effects as reported by people who have been taking this drug for Schizophrenia and, in some cases, Bipolar Disorder. Some common Caplyta Side Effects are:
- Vomiting or nausea
- Dry Mouth
- Decreased appetite
These side effects listed here may be temporary and may last more than a few weeks. However, if you experience these Caplyta Side Effects for longer and get bothered by them, then make sure to talk to your doctor or pharmacist or read Caplyta’s prescribing information. Also, please don’t stop taking this medication until your doctor recommends it.
What are the Severe Side Effects of Caplyta?
Committing to a neurological treatment involving Caplyta or antipsychotics like Caplyta could cause adverse side effects, but they are not common. However, if you experience severe Caplyta Side Effects, call your doctor immediately. Some of the severe Caplyta Side Effects are:
- Drop-in blood pressure on standing up – loss of consciousness, falling
- Uncontrollable movements in the neck, face, arms, and legs – Tardive dyskinesia
- Drop-in white blood cell count – Risk of infection, weakness, fever.
- Lack of ability to handle vehicles, heavy equipment, and increased fall risk.
- High blood sugar and diabetes – lead to weight loss, blurry vision, and increased urination.
- Increased cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Difficulty in regulating body temperature – feeling warm, overheated, no sweat while exercising.
- Allergic Reactions
- Increased danger of death in older people having dementia-linked psychosis.
- Autonomic Dysfunction or damage to nerves that control involuntary bodily functions – Stiff muscles, fever, confusion, uneven heartbeats, tremors,
- Increased risk of stroke and acute kidney failure
- Risk of suicidal behaviour and thoughts.
This is not the complete list of Caplyta Side Effects. If you feel there is an urgent medical emergency, call 911 or other local emergency numbers.
Precautions while taking Caplyta:
After knowing Caplyta Side Effects – both mild and severe, it’s evident that it’s a susceptible and reactive drug. To avoid severe Caplyta Side Effects, you must know what is required from your end. There are some very crucial situations that, if you have or do, should be cleared first before consuming this medication. It is also best to consult your doctor and be honest about it.
Let’s get acquainted with the prime precautions you should take, which could lessen or cut the stage of side effects from your treatment journey.
- Before starting this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. The medicine may contain inactive ingredients, which could cause allergic reactions or other problems.
- If you have any history of liver disease, seizures, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, personal or family history of diabetes, or difficulty in sleep or sleep apnea, tell and consult your doctor before taking this medication.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages or cannabis if you are already using it. Talk to your doctor about it.
- Since this medication makes you sweat less, avoid exercising in hot weather or using hot tubs. Instead, keep yourself as hydrated as possible. Get medical help if you overheat or experience headaches or dizziness.
- If your age is above 60, talk to your doctor about the potential Caplyta Side Effects applicable to your condition.
- This medication should not be taken during pregnancy if clearly prescribed or urgently needed. If you notice symptoms such as muscle stiffness, constant crying, difficulty breathing, etc., in your newborn, immediately consult your doctor.
- If you are planning for pregnancy or discovering your pregnancy, talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of continuing this medication.
- Keep a check on your newborn for the symptoms such as muscle stiffness, constant crying, and difficulty breathing; if you feel any of these, consult a doctor immediately since it is still unknown if this drug passes to the baby through breastfeeding, but the probability is always there.
- Always tell your doctor about the medications, supplements, and current diet before starting this medication, or it may lead to Caplyta Side Effects.
- Ask your doctor about the fruits and veggies or any other diet-related article which should be avoided if needed while taking this treatment.
So this is all about the Caplyta Side Effects article guide. More than ever now, this gain of knowledge and guidance through the Internet has benefited humankind to come out of the haze of doubt and confusion. Caplyta is a highly reactive drug, as you might have noticed if you have come so far. Therefore, it is not something that you could start and stop taking. Hope you like this Caplyta Side Effects from here now.
If you enjoy checking or reading the Caplyta Side Effects then please do share Caplyta Side Effects with others as well also. It’s also essential to note that this medication, once started, should only be stopped if your doctor says so. Being careful around the precautions listed above and aware of the Caplyta Side Effects would not only arm you with a wise choice but also a happy future.