We always try to find food that (even if in small quantities) compulsorily contains a leafy vegetable. This helps us make our food nutritionally balanced and maintain our body’s natural health composition. Talking about Indian cuisine, then Black Eyed Peas are eaten as breakfast due to their rich nutritional sources. But the catch is; that not only for breakfast Black Eyed Peas Recipe are cooked even for lunch/dinner, so here are some of the mouth-watering Black Eyed Peas Recipe which could make us feel full and enhance our nutritional diet.
Black Eyed Peas is a legume generally grown around the whole world and sometimes is also termed a Cowpea.
Thanks to food influencers and social media, we see days when even children and teenagers are particular about their fitness. However, considering the health nut culture, adopting a wholesome, simple, yet efficient food with great nutritional value is better. One such food is – Black Eyed Peas.
Black Eyed Peas: Nutritional Benefits
Black Eyed Peas are known for their ideal composition of nutrition which can be listed as follows:
- Iron – Required for body growth and development.
- Calcium – Required for strong bones and teeth.
- Magnesium – Required as support to muscles, nerve function, and energy production.
- Potassium – Required for muscle functioning and nerve contracting.
- Vitamin A – Required for strengthening the body’s immune system to fight infections and illness. It is also essential for night vision in dim lights.
- Vitamin K – Required for blood clotting and the building of bones
- Other minerals
Other Benefits of Black Eyed Peas:
- Supports digestion.
- It helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- Lower cholesterol.
- Support eye and skin health.
Black Eyed Peas Recipe: Soaking Science
- Typically beans contain many indigestible sugars, which are very hard for our system to digest and cause gastric problems and other digestive issues like bloating & flatulence. So it’s better if the beans are soaked, which gets sprouted and lessens the unease they cause.
- If your beans are soaked (for 3-4 hours), they will take less cooking time compared to the beans that are not washed.
Black Eyed Peas Recipe for Vegan & Non-Vegan
Vegan Styles (Stovetop Pressure Cooker & Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Recipe) –
Ingredients Needed for Cooking:
- Black Eyed Peas – 1 Cup (Use dried peas and soak them in water for at least 4 hours)
- Ginger & Garlic – Use paste (If you use pieces instead of paste, finely chop them.)
- Green Chili – 2 (better to operate according to taste)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 2 Tomatoes (Use Tomatoes in paste form to make the base)
Tip:- You can use Canned Tomatoes or even Crushed Tomatoes for the same purpose
- Oil – 3 Tablespoon (better choice is Olive Oil)
- Herbs & Species – Cilantro (finely chopped), Cumin Seeds, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, and Coriander.
Tip:- It’s better to use them according to your taste. Otherwise, I recommend you use 1 Tablespoon of each of them.
- Lemon Juice – Use fresh Lemon Juice or Amchur Powder (Dry Mango Powder) for tartness 1-Tablespoon is enough.
Method of Cooking:
Step 1 – Before starting to cook, soak the Black Eyed Peas in abundant water (for at least 4-5 hours) so they can submerge and then dry them.
Step 2 – Make puree by blending 2 Tomatoes.
Step 3 – Put the pressure cooker on the burner with some oil. Once the oil is hot, put cumin seeds in it until they are sprayed.
Step 4 – Once the oil is hot with jeera, add onion and ginger-garlic paste and saute the onions until it turns light brown.
Step:5 – After it is sauteed well, add tomato puree and some finely chopped tomatoes (as extras) to the cooker and let the mixture cook well for another 2-3 minutes (during this cooking time, slowly but carefully stir the mixture; do not let your hand get burned).
Step 6 – After all this, add Black Eyed Peas, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt, and mix all of this very well to make it taste splendid.
Step 7 – Add some water and stir it for 1-2 minutes.
Step 8 – Close the cooker’s lid and cook the Black Eyed Peas for at least 3-4 whistles (it’s better to cook at medium flame).
Step 9 – After 3-4 whistles, open the cooker’s lid carefully and add garam masala, lemon juice, and cilantro. Mix them very well.
Serving Tip – Once your Black Eyed Peas Recipe is ready, you can serve it with hot basmati rice, jeera rice, poori’s, chapati, roti & parathas, or even you can pair it with yoghurt or salad during your lunch or dinner time. Have fun eating!
Let’s Try Making the Same Curry from Black Eyed Peas in Instant Pot –
**NOTE - Ingredients used are the same as the Pressure Cooker Black Eyed Peas Recipe.
Method of Cooking:
Black Eyed Peas Recipe Steps 1 & 2 are the same as that of the Pressure Cooker Recipe; follow the Black Eyed Peas Recipe 3rd Step as:
- Switch on the SAUTE mode on the instant pot. Add oil to the instant pot. When the pot is readily hot, put cumin seeds to splutter.
Again follow Black Eyed Peas Recipe Steps 4 to 7 as that of the Pressure Cooker Recipe. The next Black Eyed Peas Recipe step is:
- Seal the lid very correctly. Turn the vent to SEALING. On the instant pot, select PRESSURE, COOK/MANUAL (HIGH PRESSURE), and set the pot time for cooking.
Tip – For firmer beans, set the time to 12 minutes; for soft beans, set the time to 14 minutes.
- Please wait for the pot to beep and when it starts beeping, wait for another 10 minutes and let the pressure release naturally. Then, after removing the lid, let off all the pressure.
- After removing the lid, add garam masala to its lime justice, and to make it lavish, garnish it with cilantro. Then, do mix it firmly and serve it.
Non-Vegan Style of making Southern Braised Chicken with Black Eyed Peas –
Ingredients Needed for Cooking:
- Chicken – I recommend using bone-in thighs, but leg quarters or a whole-cut chicken will also work the same way
- Bacon– It is used to make everything taste much better!
- Veggies – Carrots, Mushrooms & Cabbage
- Chicken Broth
- Black Eyed Peas
Method of Cooking:
Step 1 – First and Foremost, fry the bacon in a braiser. After it’s done, remove the bacon.
Step 2 – For 6-8 minutes, brown the chicken on a bit of the skin side, flip it, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3 – In a pan, stir the carrots, mushrooms, thyme, and broken-up bacon, and also put the chicken broth in it, with skin side up, and nestle the chicken into the mixture.
Step 4 – Cover the pan and cook for at least 60 minutes. Now, add cabbage and Black Eyed Peas when 30 minutes are left.
Variations that you can do while cooking Southern Braised Chicken with Black Eyed Peas –
- With Veggies – You can also use bell peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green peas, or green beans; moreover, you can swap cabbage with other leafy vegetables like spinach.
- You can use Red Chili Flakes; this also gives the dish a great taste. Also, you can interchange Bacon with Ham; it provides an almost similar taste.
Now your Southern Braised Chicken is ready to be served.
Serving Tip – If you have biscuits, then it’s comfortably better to serve them with biscuits. It can also go well with bread or a bowl of rice.
Black Eyed Peas Recipe is perfect for those who love their health but never hesitate to try out new Black Eyed Peas Recipe and dishes. Not only can this give a well-bound taste, but it also already controls your health.
In the Black Eyed Peas Recipe addition, Black Eyed Peas are known for their nutritional benefits. So why waste time? Pick up any of these and dive into the sensational taste of Black Eyed Peas. Hope you like this Black Eyed Peas Recipe guide from here now.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) –
1. What Spices Go with Black Eyed Peas Recipe?
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
2. Why Do You Put a Penny in Black-Eyed Peas?
One peculiar but widespread custom is incorporating real money into the plate of black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day. In addition, some people increase their “luck” by cooking a pot of peas while including a coin or dime.